– A community clean up in Echo Park nets 5,017 cigarette butts. KCBS
– The Echo Park Recreation Center, which recently reopened after more than a year-long renovation, will be closing again by the end of the year to repair a leaky basement. Fixing the basement and making it available for classes and other activities had been a priority of the last renovation. But funds ran out before it could be completed. (from a Parks & Rec employee)
– Was that a gunshot or…? Eastside LA
– A former gang member from Echo Park now tries to fight violence in Santa Maria. It’s not going well. KCOY
– I told you so: A large magenta banner draped across the top of a building at the southeast corner of Sunset Boulevard and Lemoyne Street confirms that Out of the Closet is opening an Echo Park thrift shop. As previously talked about in News & Notes.
– A poem and song dedicated to a short stay in an Echo Park apartment:
it looked like the houseboat on Quincy.
As duplexes go, it was bigger than most
and the landlord would pay gas and water.
The strict no pet clause, well, it gave me some pause
but we shook hands and I took the keys.
And later that night when my telephone rang,
could it be a cat howl he’d been hearin’?