Two high school students became ill last week – one of them was hospitalized for several days – after consuming some angel’s trumpet, a plant known for its hallucinogenic as well as poisonous properties. The two boys were skipping school when the pair were seen wandering on Angus Street in Silver Lake on the afternoon of June 1, police said. Fire department paramedics were called when it became apparent the two youths were ill. The two boys admitted to eating angel’s trumpet, said LAPD Senior Lead officer Al Polehonki. “It’s a beautiful plant … but it’s very toxic.”
Silver Lake resident Alison Foster witnessed the scene unfolding in front of her home as paramedics (pictured at right) arrived to transport the youths to a hospital:
“They were so far gone. It was heartbreaking to see. In the middle of the day. I asked one of the policewoman what they were on and she said ‘angel trumpet its all over the neighborhood again’ … I am just heartsick for this child. It was about 2PM on a Tuesday. His whole life changed on my driveway.”
Police earlier this year asked residents living near Marshall High in Los Feliz to remove their angels’ trumpet after some students became ill ingesting parts of the plant. Polehonki would not identify what school last week’s poisoning victims attended. But he said both youths were under 18. One the boys spent several days in the hospital before being released, he said. “One was not coherent and the other admitted to drinking alcohol but said his friend had drank some angel’s trumpet after making it into tea,” Polehonki said.
Calls and emails seeking comment from Marshall High School officials were not returned.
Top photo by 3sth3r/Flickr; bottom photo by Alison Foster