By Beth Zeigler
I have nothing against the plant nursery of my local Home Depot – they’re super close, which equals mucho convenience in my book. But if you really want an added cool factor and have a garden with personality, you really should shop at Potted in Atwater Village. Amazing staff and unusual finds. With everything in the store marked 20% off (with further markdowns to boot) you really can’t go wrong. Sale ends this Sunday. Potted
Click on the link for more Shopper & Diner deals and news from Eagle Rock, Echo Park, Silver Lake and even Hermon!
- Out of the Kitchen just named their top 10 burger joints in the golden state of California. Eagle Rock is where it’s at according these guys; specifically Oinkster and Tommy’s. My appetite has been fortunate enough to enjoy both spots but am waiting until after a long food fast to sink my teeth into Tommy’s triple cheeseburger – do I get a free t-shirt with that for finishing?
- When the Vons down the street from me in Echo Park was remodeled last year, I could not have been happier. New lighting, floors and a deli section make the short trip worthwhile. I can imagine that the folks of Hermon are equally stoked. Fresco Community Market opened its doors today, according to Highland Park Patch. The Eastsider interviewed the store manager last month about what you can expect to find in the newest market serving Northeast L.A.
- With an established music scene, hipster hangouts and tattoo parlors, Echo Park was really in need of a place for its horde of musicians to order custom electric and bass guitars. Echo Park Guitars fills that need by building custom guitars and offering repair services in one of the hippest spots to rehearse your music, Bedrock Studios. Rock steady.
- Racked LA just doled out their The Ten Best Stores That Opened In 2010. Making the list is the Echo Park Independent Co-op and Mohawk General Store in Silver Lake. Modern, chic and über hip the addition of these stores steer us away from Glendale Galleria and keep it local.
- I’m sure this tid bit of information lands me in the loser camp but I have yet to eat at Rambutan Thai. And it’s not that I don’t like Thai – I love it. But Rambutan just figured out how to get me (and others who haven’t been yet) into their Silver Lake restaurant. Change up their already established Beer Bar and add 60 something beers to the list. This Echo Park resident cannot deny a beer – especially when it’s served in a faux woodland atmosphere while channeling the wilderness. Eating LA
- Last but not least, Tavin Boutique in Echo Park is ringing in 2011 with an 11% off sale during January.