A Friday morning Echo Park house fire was blamed on “smoking materials” that had been”carelessly discarded” and ignited furniture on a patio, according to the Los Angeles Fire Department blog. A preliminary investigation found that that the home at 1324 Sutherland St. was not equipped with working smoke alarms. The post by spokesman Brian Humphrey said:
“Firefighters later determined that the home’s occupants owed their survival solely to the happenstance that one resident was awakened by the sound of fire, and was able to alert others.”
One of the five occupants of the house suffered smoke inhalation and first-degree burns by trying to retrieve some of his belongings. A cat was killed during the fire. Damage is estimated at $75,000.
The video above was shot by a resident who lives across the street from the fire-damaged home.