Quantcast
Friday, August 1, 2014

Boyle Heights house fire injures two people

fireA man and woman in “grave condition” were pulled from a burning Boyle Heights home this morning near Malabar Street Elementary school, reports the Los Angeles Fire Department.  It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out the blaze that had engulfed a one-story house in the 3100 block of Malabar Street, according to early information issued in an LAFD email alert. No further information was immediately available.

* Update: The injured victims were described as a 70-year-old woman and her 90-year-old husband, according to LAFD.  Two men who had just dropped off their kids at Malabar kicked in the door of the house to help rescue the woman.

One comment

  1. From LAFD web site:
    A post-fire investigation found no evidence of functional smoke alarms within the home, and further determined that window security bars were not equipped with mandated emergency escape quick release systems. A front door security screen was found to be secured inappropriately with a padlock, and myriad electrical hazards, including overloaded circuits, improperly used extension cords and portable space heaters were found throughout the 107 year-old wood frame home, which was not equipped with residential fire sprinklers.
    I’m not sure if they were home owners or renters but I’m sure that many residents live in homes with similar conditions. If they are renters what are the owners responsibilities/liabilities when something like this happens?

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>