Photo courtesy Michael Kaminsky
- Heywood Grilled Cheese Shoppe in Silver Lake only opened a few months ago but the owners just completed a remodel and introduced a few new sandwiches. To show the place off, they will be holding a Grand Re-Opening Celebration on Friday, March 1, with all the new sandwiches selling for just $2 from 6 pm to 10 pm.
- Silver Lake’s El Cochinito has been serving up Cuban fare for several years. Now, the Sunset Boulevard restaurant is also home to a once-a-month pop up restaurant called Post Service Supper. Chef Edgar Rico, who has worked at Son of A Gun and Craft Los Angeles, and partners Daniel Navarro and Chris Raba And Chris Raba offer a four-course tasting menu with drink pairing for $45. Click here to buy tickets two tonight’s Post Service Supper.
- That was fast. It was only about a year ago that the former Downbeat Cafe in Echo Park was sold, with the new owners launching an extensive remodel before renaming the place Echo Lake Coffee Co. This month, however, another new owner, Tierra Mia Coffee, has taken over the Alvarado Coffee house, reports Echo Park Now. The small chain will roll out a menu featuring Latin-inspired coffee beverages – such as an horchatta lattes and frappes and a Cubano con leche – as well as pastries baked daily.
- The most recent newcomer to York Boulevard, Shop Class, joins several other home decor shops that have recently opened on the Highland Park street, reports L.A. at Home. Expect to find a large inventory of vintage Danish modern furniture as well as lamps and other merchandise.
- For several years now, vinyl record owners have been sharing and playing their discs at Tuesday night’s Record Club at El Prado in Echo Park. Now, the event, hosted by Origami Vinyl, has been honored by Time Out magazine, which ranked the Record Club as the No. 4 on its lists “101 Things To Do In Los Angeles,” says Patch.