HIGHLAND PARK — A new ‘60s themed bar is swinging into the former home of Dusty’s Sports Bar on York Blvd, says Eater LA. Called The Offbeat, the bar expects to be on target for an early to mid June opening. Manager Todd Conner explains that the 1960s theme fell into place when they peeled off Dusty’s brick exterior to reveal the building’s original, Googie-esque corrugated facade. It matched the similarly geometric bar inside, and the rest is history.
In other Shopper & Diner news:
- The fourth annual Taste of the Eastside on Sunday, June 1 will once again feature a one-stop opportunity to sample foods and drinks from numerous establishments. But after being held at Barnsdall Park in Los Feliz in the past, the food event moves further east this year to the L.A. River Center & Gardens in Cypress Park.
- Last week was the 3rd Annual Taste of Boyle Heights. EGP News reports that hundreds came out to the event in Mariachi Plaza which showcased local eateries and street vendors along with live music.
- The Oinkster is hoping you’re looking to taste a little of Eagle Rock. The burger joint is once again celebrating its annual Burger Week. LAist says they’re unveiling six new burger creations for the event that runs June 2- 8. With names like the Pantera Burger, the Turducken, and the HotBurg on a Stick, we’re both curious and somehow already full.
- If all the burger talk has you yearning for a workout, come celebrate one year with Silver Lake Pilates & Yoga Studio. The place at on the border of Silver Lake and Echo Park will be partying today, Friday, May, 30 from 6:30 pm to 10 pm, and all are welcome. Everyone attending the event will get a free yoga class coupon to use anytime over the summer.
- Elsewhere in Silver Lake, the forthcoming Alimento preps for opening. Eater LA reports that the Italian eatery taking over the location of Back Door Bakery is just about a month from serving its first meal. The spot is small but will include patio seating as well.
Marni Epstein Epstein is an entertainment, music, and lifestyle Journalist and resident of Echo Park. She has previously worked in the film and digital media industries with FOX and Sony Pictures Entertainment. She is currently also pursuing a Masters in Historic Preservation.