By NATHAN SOLIS
- Boyle Heights Beat will be hosting a Council District 14 candidates forum on Saturday morning. Confirmed participants include Gloria Molina, Nadine Diaz, Jose Huizar and Mario Chavez. Those attending may submit questions prior to the event to inquire about the future of Boyle Heights. Boyle Heights City Hall Saturday, February 7 at 10 a.m.
- Not to be outdone, Highland Park will be hosting its own candidates forum and debate, most likely this will not include questions from the audience. Confirmed participants include Diaz, Huizar and Molina, with pending invites from Chavez and John O’Neil. Thursday, February 12 at Luther Burbank Middle School. The event starts with a meet and greet at 6 p.m. and the forum following after.
- The Huizar camp has announced another round of endorsements, ranging from the Sierra Club and Planned Parenthood to the L.A. Chamber of Commerce and the Stonewall Democratic Club.
- Guess who stopped by Molina’s Boyle Heights HQ? Why that’s Council District-1’s Gil Cedillo. It’s a panoramic shot, but you might have to squint to make out the faces. Molina secured Cedillo’s endorsement last month, along with U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer and former Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa according to the L.A. Times.
- The primary elections are on March 3. Get to know the candidates in our Ballot Box 2015 election guide.
Nathan Solis is a Highland Park resident who writes about and photographs the L.A. music scene. You can find more of Solis’ stories, reviews and photos at Avenue Meander.