- One man was killed after being shot Saturday night in Historic Filipinotown near Temple and Coronado streets. The man was pronounced dead at the scene. MyNewsLA
- A large fire this morning caused heavy damage to an East Hollywood apartment building under construction in the 400 block of North Heliotrope Drive and left about 20 people in neighboring structures unable to return to their homes. One firefighter sustained minor injuries fighting the blaze, which took more than 100 firefighters about 42 minutes to extinguish. KTLA
- Mayor Eric Garcetti’s proposal to raise $100 million annually for affordable housing by imposing a “linkage fee” on new construction remains tied up in the City Council. Opponents of the measure say it would slow construction of additional market-rate housing. L.A. Times
- Former L.A. mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who is now running for governor, stepped up his criticism of campaign rival Gavin Newsom during a political event at East Los Angeles College. “Gavin, he tweets a lot, but I think people want more than tweets and talk,” Villaraigosa said of the former San Francisco mayor. L.A. Times
- Skylight Books in Los Feliz was among this year’s recipients of a California Small Business of the Year award.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.