BY CECILIA PADILLA-BRILL
Looks like prominent Angelenos are fans of some of the Eastside’s popular spots and hidden gems, LA Weekly reports. The King’s Roost, a DIY supply shop in Silver Lake, is Madeleine Brand’s top pick for buying oats she uses to make granola. Other contenders who received mentions from notables include small-time boutique grocer Cookbook in Echo Park, game-changer Café de Leche in Highland Park, classic Patra’s Charboiled Burgers in Cypress Park and long-standing El Tepeyec Café in Boyle Heights.
In other Shopper & Diner news:
- Avenue 26 Tacos is up and running again after the City of Los Angeles shut down the operation and confiscated equipment on November 26, Eater LA reports. Apparently, the Avenue 26 Taco team was able to pool enough money to replace some of big-ticket items that the city confiscated – a salsa station, spinning trompo for the al pastor and flat top griddle. Avenue 26 Tacos is located on W. Avenue 26 and Humboldt Street in Lincoln Heights.
- Mi Corazon Silver Lake has stepped into the former Mare space, Eater LA reports. Expect a causal Mexican spot with large plate classics such as flautas, burritos and tacos. Heading the operation is Jeremy Swan, a longtime tattoo artist and Los Feliz resident who also runs Mi Corazon in Glendale. Mi Corazon Silver Lake is located in the 2600 block of Hyperion Avenue.
- Need a fix of Andante coffee? Standing Egg Coffee is an option. According to Eater LA, the newbie coffee shop in Silver Lake’s highly competitive coffee scene serves the locally roasted Andante beans. At this moment, Standing Egg is keeping its operation rather minimal, with a whisper of an online presence and a space equipped with a tiny television on the wall showing security footage. Standing Egg Coffee is located in the 2800 block of Hyperion Avenue in Silver Lake.
That’s it for this week’s Shopper & Diner Report!
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
- Sign up for The Eastsider’s Good Taste email newsletter with food related items from The Shopper & Diner Report and other sources (expect special offers from our business partners, too).
- If you want to share Eastside restaurant reviews, recipes and cooking & shopping tips, sign up for The Good Taste Facebook Group
Cecilia Padilla-Brill is a communications writer and journalist. She writes news, health, education and feature stories. Cecilia is currently working on her first novel. She has lived in Echo Park since 1999.
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers