The two candidates are both progressive Latinos and Democrats with similar positions and points of view on important issues. Lopez, 44, has developed close ties to many neighborhood groups and leaders as he has worked as a community activist on a variety of issues. But Carrillo, 37, has won the endorsement of the Democratic Party establishment and major financial support from unions.
The winner of today’s runoff will replace Jimmy Gomez, who was elected to Congress in a special election.
Here’s a roundup of election stories with information about the candidates and their background:
- 51st State Assembly candidates seek to set themselves apart as election day nears
- Viewpoint: Untangling the 51st State Assembly District race
- Election Tuesday will decide if Wendy Carrillo or Luis López becomes next state Assembly member
- LA-area Assembly special election matches Democrats with differences
- Got a story, tip, question or photo to share? Submit it here