ECHO PARK — A 14-year-old girl was injured after a Christmas tree caught fire Wednesday night inside a home in the 300 block of Alvarado Street in the Historic Filipinotown section of Echo Park.
A spark from an electrical overload was blamed for the fire, which engulfed the home located between an Arco gas station and a large apartment building, according to the L.A. Fire Department. The fire was put out in about 40 minutes, and girl was transported to a hospital to be treated for a burn described as non-life threatening.
The fire gutted the home and left a woman and her five children homeless, NBC4 reported. The Red Cross provided temporary housing and firefighters supplied gifts to sons.
- More Echo Park homes
- More Historic Filipinotown homes
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!
Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.