Quantcast
Sunday, September 25, 2016

Councilman criticized for delaying Boyle Heights reward announcement

The unsolved murder of a 15-year-old in Boyle Heights lead officials to schedule a December 30 press conference to announce a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest. But, at the last minute, the press conference was canceled and eventually rescheduled more than a week later. The reason? The Voice Newspaper said it was primarily because Boyle Heights Councilman Jose Huizar could not attend the press conference. Publisher Carlos Morales, in this month’s issue of The Voice, took the councilman to task for the delaying awareness of the reward: “We ask our readers the following question: Should our community continue to be at risk by a murderer because a politician is not available for a photo opportunity with the press?”

Rick Coca, a spokesman for Huizar, confirmed that the councilman was not available for the Dec. 30 press conference, but neither was the family of the victim, Luis Perez, who was gunned down on Cesar Chavez Avenue. Also, since the city council was on a holiday break, no motion could be introduced seeking a reward until after New Year’s, Coca said. While the January 30 press conference was postponed, some news sites mentioned plans to seek a reward, generating publicity about the issue, Coca said. Huizar’s ofice and the Los Angeles Police Department agreed to hold a January 8 press conference, which attracted several TV stations and other media, perhaps more than would have come during the holiday. “Literally every station was there,” said Coca, who noted that Huizar had not attended a previous press conference announcing a reward in his district.

Hollenbeck Dect. Victor Marin, who is handling the case, said that postponing press conference did not make much of a difference. So far, he said, news of the reward has failed to generate any calls.



Eastsider Advertising

One comment

  1. http://www.NoWayJose2011.com

    Councilman Jose Huizar has failed all of us as our representative. Huizar is arrogant, self serving, and has been more worried about looking good rather than helping our community.

    RECORD OF UN-ACCOUNTABILITY
    a. Huizar has missed over 9000 Item Votes in the LA City Council.
    b. Huizar mis-managed $1,600,000 from the LA CITY CLARTS Fund
    c. Huizar was fined $15,000 in 2008 by LA CITY Ethics Commission
    d. Huizar created a “friend & enemy” list to judge his supporters and punish his opponents
    (Is this how our representative spends their time?)
    e. Huizar’s Office sent out emails stating he would “put a political bullet” through his opponent. (More evidence of Huizar’s method of punishment for opponents)
    Is this the type of politician we want to represent our interests in the 14th District? Say “NO WAY JOSE” to Jose Huizar’s re-election bid and vote for his opponent if you want accountability and honesty.

    SOURCES
    Source: LA Downtown News – http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articles/2011/01/31/news/doc4d4365fa92c09925730979.txt
    Source: City Maven – http://www.thecitymaven.com/2011/01/14/huizars-office-releases-details-of-clarts-funding/
    Source: LA Downtown News – http://www.ladowntownnews.com/articles/2008/08/18/news/news06.prt

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *

*