Quantcast
Friday, September 30, 2016

Fire damages TiGeorges’ Chicken in Echo Park

The Haitian restaurant that served as a hub for quake relief efforts was hit by a fire tonight that caused an estimated $50,000 in damage, primarily to the attic and roof above the Glendale Boulevard restaurant. No one suffered any injuries in the blaze that was reported at about 9:30 PM, said LAFD Battalion Chief John Vidovich. Firefighters hacked through the ceiling but the interior of the restaurant located in the southern edge of Echo Park and adjacent shops suffered relatively minor damage, Vidovich said. Owner George LaGuerre, who was inspecting the damage, said he was not in the restaurant when the fire broke out. It’s not clear what impact the fire will have on operations. “Inside, it’s okay,” LaGuerre said of his business.

The fire struck as LaGuerre was preparing to fly to Haiti later this week in his first visit to the island since last month’s deadly quake.

Vidovich said there were signs the fire might have been triggered by an electrical problem but firefighters were still investigating the matter. Glendale Boulevard, which had been closed off to traffic south of Temple Street, was expected to reopen before midnight.

Photos by The Eastsider



Eastsider Advertising

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *

*