At the height of the Los Angeles real estate boom of the 1880s, the Stilson-Botson mansion was completed in 1887 at the corner of Edgeware Road and Carroll Avenue in Angeleno Heights. The mansion outdid the other Victorian-style homes in the neighborhood in size and opulence, with guests dancing in a grand ballroom while musicians serenaded them from a balcony above. The local real estate boom went bust soon after the Stilson-Botson mansion and the first generation of Angeleno Heights homes were built. By the time the real estate market had recovered, the Victorian style as well as Angeleno Heights had begun to fade from fashion. Sometime in the middle of the 20th Century, the Stilson-Botson mansion was carved up into tiny apartments. The ornate wood trim was stripped away and the wood siding slathered in stucco.
The 7,400-square-foot house, hidden behind high hedges and gate, has been renovated in recent years and sold for $1.7 million in 2008, according to Redfin. Earlier this week, the Stilson-Botson mansion changed hands again, selling for $900,000 in a foreclosure sale.
Angeleno Heights resident Kevin Kuzma said he wonders if the new owners have grand plans for this once grand estate:
“In just a few short years, it would make financial sense for someone to destucco the exterior and do basic repairs on the exterior siding, doing the more complex millwork restoration as time and money permits. It was once the grandest house in the neighborhood, and with the right owner, could be again.”
Photo from theMLS.com