K-9 Loft, Echo Park | Photo by Beth Zeigler
By Beth Zeigler
Our dog, Mayor, is a rescue and apparently his mouth has never met a toothbrush. So we’re taking Mayor down to see the folks at K9 Loft in Echo Park on Sunday when they’re running all kinds of specials, even on teeth cleaning. I’m especially stoked because it’s non-anesthetic plus we can hang out with Mayor while the vet polishes his soon-to-be pearly whites.
Click on the link for more Shopper & Diner news from Eagle Rock, Echo Park and Highland Park.
- According to Mark of Eagle Rock Patch, residents of Eagle Rock and Highland park have no reason to be out of shape with all the healthy food options in the area. Highlights include Four Cafe on Colorado Boulevard, which sources local and organic ingredients and Figueroa Produce in Highland Park for their affordable greens. Eagle Rock Patch
- Last week’s carb coma from Thanksgiving has me ready to work out (sorta). I might get a little accountability and a head start before the New Year with Anatomy offering its first fitness class for free. This Highland Park boutique fitness studio offers small, personalized classes that promise to shape you up.
- Cross a few items off your holiday gift list and save 20% this weekend at the Echo Country Outpost. Everything is on sale at the Echo Park shop, including forest incense, baby and adult moccasins, handmade jewelry, candy, and multipurpose “knick-knacks and what-nots.”
- Even though shopping at Millenium Thrift Shop in Echo Park was almost impossible with items stacked and no apparent way to get to them, I was sad to see them go. I am glad, however, that the folks behind Local on Sunset have decided to set up shop curated with vintage finds like clothes, records and furniture. Oh yea, the new store is called TИSEN and don’t ask me to pronounce it. Echo Park Now
- Living in Echo Park for five years, I remember when the spot where Delilah Bakery now stands used to house an elderly couple selling their wares. And while I am a vintage connoisseur, you just can’t beat whisky bread pudding. This week, Delilah Bakery and Lark Cake Shop made the Best Cakes in Los Angeles List. Huffington Post
- Chinatown Express is back in business 14 months after a fire struck the minimall at Echo Park Avenue and Montana Street. The family owned restaurant, the last of the minimall tenants to return, will celebrate with a grand reopening celebration on Saturday (Dec. 4) with $1 menu items and a Chinese dragon dance in the parking lot. Welcome back. Echo Park Now has a flyer with the details.
- For many Echo Park residents, the holiday shopping season does not begin until potter Peter Shire holds his annual Echo Park Pottery Sale, which will be held this weekend (Dec 4 & 5). Cups, bowls and all things ceramic will be on sale, and Zyanza Aromatherapy will also be on hand with their aromatic wares.
- Hungering for some enchiladas or chilaquiles but don’t want to cook? Echo Park’s Rodeo Mexican Grill now delivers between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Call (213) 483-8311.
- What is Bunrria? That’s what Xoia Vietnamese Eats – the Echo Park restaurant that brought you pho tacos – calls a cross between Mexican Birria and Vietnamese Bun Bo Hue. Mexican Birria is usually made with goat, but Xoia’s version uses beef marinated with roasted peppers and is served with Vietnamese Bun noodles. This cross-cultural meal will make its debut this Saturday and Sunday and will continue for a limited time on weekends.
Send your shopping and store news to Beth Zeigler at [email protected]