Fire damages Echo Park house *

Photo by Scott Fajack

Firefighters took about 20 minutes to put out a house fire in Echo Park this morning at 1324 Sutherland St., according to LAFD. No one was injured in the fire, which was covered live by a few TV news helicopters, that broke out before 7 a.m. Fox News reported that  Sunset Boulevard was blocked near Sutherland and Quintero streets.

* Correction & Update: A previous version of story said the home was located 1424 Sutherland. That’s wrong. The correct address is 1324 Sutherland. A resident living across the street from the video the video below:


  1. The blast looked to be engulfing a structure, traffic on Sunset was at a standstill, but since I was on a bike, easier to get around.

  2. Very sad – This was my childhood home – the address is actually “1324” Sutherland Street. My family bought the house in about 1940 and then sold it to a developer in 1996 and it was completed remodeled. Wonder what happened.

  3. I lived in one of the bungalows next door for several years ending in 2009. In the time I was living next door, the following happened to that house:
    -A girl committed suicide there
    -Pop Levi and his band lived there
    -It became a “sober living” halfway house for about a year
    -Various large parties and other shenanigans

    And yes, per comment above it is 1324, not 1424

  4. @ Linda & Ron. Thanks to for pointing that out. I’ve corrected the address.

  5. We saw the house engulfed in flames as we were woken by the sirens.Firefighters were walking up the flaming step and walking on the roof. We never saw anyone come out of the house nor any ambulances. Don’t fire dept ambulances always get to scenes first? Was anyone hurt?

  6. My friends live in this house. Nobody was seriously injured, but they did lose everything they own. They think it was an electrical fire that sparked underneath the house. A cat was killed in the fire.
    The whole thing is really awful.

  7. I saw the smoke early in the morn and said a prayer for those people affected as that’s all I could do besides look out the window. Glad to hear no one was hurt. TV’s and such can be replaced, but not life.

  8. Dear Eastsider and Echo Park friends,

    Your Los Angeles Firefighters remain saddened that they were unable to save the cat trapped in the fire, They remain thankful however, that all five persons escaped the fast-moving flames.

    A detailed overview of this January 21, 2011 fire can be found at the LAFD News and Information blog at:


    The men and women of the LAFD appreciate the support they receive from eastside residents. We hope that same spirit of caring and helpfulness will allow community support of our five neighbors who are rebuilding their lives after this fire.

    Respectfully Yours in Safety and Service,

    Brian Humphrey
    Public Service Officer
    Los Angeles Fire Department

  9. That kitty was really sweet, so sad. Rest in peace little kitty…

    Also, good job firefighters!

  10. It is very sad to read the scary details of the LAFD summary in the blog. The footage from the video shows how brave our LAFD firefighters are. Watching them deal with falling burning debris and heading up a sketchy staircase on fire is quite dramatic. Thank you, unknown neighbor, for sharing the video and to my neighbors who lost their possessions and pet in the fire, I hope you rebound from this quickly.

  11. I bought the house in 1999 and sold it in 2002, it was completely remodeled. I’m sad to see that it’s burned down.

  12. saw it coming…

Leave a Reply to Matthew Cancel reply

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *