By Mary A. Allen
Boyle Heights has its Mariachi Plaza and the Hollywood Bowl hosts an annual Mariachi USA Festival. Now, the Echo Park neighborhood council wants to get in on the mariachi act by hosting the first ever Echo Park Mariachi Festival. On Tuesday night, the governing board of the Greater Echo Park Elysian Neighborhood Council approved spending $1,000 to sponsor the event, which is scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 17. Council President Jose Sigala said he is still trying to pin down a venue for the two-hour long festival but the line up would feature students from the Los Angeles school district and professional mariachis. “I think it is important to have an event honoring and highlighting Latino culture in Echo Park,” Sigala said in an email.
In connections with the event, Sigala, who wants the Echo Park Mariachi Festival to become an annual happening, is seeking contributions and donations to assist a school orchestra planned to begin this fall at Logan Street Elementary.
Other news, observations and highlight’s from the meeting:
Not an Enemy Invasion
Dodgers Neighborhood Relations Manager Noel Pallais noted that community members should be aware that Navy Paratroopers will be conducting practice maneuvers this coming Saturday evening, July 30, in the area of the stadium. He reminded residents that the Dodgers maintains a neighborhood email distribution list. Any interested stakeholder can email Noel at [email protected]gers.com to have their name added to the list for periodic updates.
Approved Budget Items
- $750 to provide bounce house jumpers and generators for Echo Park National Night Out on Tuesday, August 2
- $750 to maintain phone line at GEPENC offices.
- $500 for local Echo Park Heal the Bay Coastal Clean Up Day at Vista Hermosa Park on September 17
A Busy Day
Echo Park residents can fix their mortgages, clean the community, and be entertained all on one day. The following events are scheduled for Saturday, September 17:
- Northeast LA Home Rescue Fair 10:00 am – 3:00 pm at Goodwill Industries 342 N. San Fernando Road
- Heal the Bay Coastal Clean Up 9:00am – 1:30 pm, at Vista Hermosa Park and GEPENC office
- First Annual Mariachi Festival 6:00pm – 8:00pm at Angeles Temple
See You at the Next Meeting
Tuesday’s nights’ board meeting was cut short due to abrupt departure from the meeting by board member Connie Acosta, thus dissolving the quorum.