portfolio_slideshow carousel=falseportfolio_slideshow navstyle=text
It’s a mess out there. Downed trees, power lines, holiday ornaments, fences and even a billboard are strewn across the Eastside after a powerful windstorm raked the area overnight, with more high winds expected later today and tonight. The DWP reported that more than 120,00 customers including more than 50,000 on the Eastside – were without power earlier this afternoon and warned that some residents could be without service for up to two days before repairs can be completed (be careful around those power lines). Wind gusts of 101 miles per hour were recorded by the weather station atop Mount Washington. Residents report numerous trees down in Elysian Park and traffic signals have gone dark in many locations. Meanwhile, in Northeast L.A. many residents have not only lost power but they have also lost some water pressure and are being asked to conserve water until repairs are made.
Updated @ 7:44 p.m
In other wind-related news:
- Time Warner cable out in Echo Park for 16 hours and counting. Echo Elysian Forum
- Tree crushes Boyle Heights home and damages two others. Boyle Heights Beat
- More than 200 trees fell in Council District 1, reports Councilman Ed Reyes.
- DWP lifts Northeast L.A. water conservation alert after power partially restored. LADW
- Silver Lake home damaged after downed wires spark fire. Corralitas Red Car Property
- Atwater Village has scaled back tonight’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony. AV Chamber
- City has imposed Red Flag parking restrictions until 8 am on Friday. LAFD
- Griffith Park has been closed.
- Heritage Square in Montecito Heights without power.
- High winds give scare to resident of 100-year-old Echo Park home. L.A. Now
- Downed power lines spark grass fire near Occidental College. Patch
- Occidental College cancels classes today after power outage. Oxy News
- No surprise here: Elysian Park tumbleweed snowman decorating session postponed until Tuesday, Dec. 6 at 10 a.m
- Here’s the rundown of Eastside DWP customers without power as of 3 p.m.: Highland Park, 12,800 ; El Sereno, 11,300; Glassell Park, 9,800 Eagle Rock, 2,800; Lincoln Heights, 3,000; Cypress Park, 9,300; Boyle Heights, 3,800.