Thursday, October 20, 2016

Fire damages Silver Lake duplex

Photos by Sandy Driscoll

A fire that is believed to have started in a bathroom wall heater caused minor damage to a duplex near the Silver Lake reservoir early this evening.  Fire crews quickly put out the blaze that broke out at the corner of W. Silver Lake Drive and Redesdale Avenue, said Silver Lake resident Sandy Driscoll, who took photos of the fire scene at about 8 p.m. ” They made sure no one was in the building, and actually made very quick work of putting the fire out,” said Driscoll.  “As far as they can tell, it probably started in the bathroom where there was a wall heater, possibly igniting a nearby towel.”

A crowd of neighbors gathered as at least 10 fire trucks and related vehicles  from the Silver Lake and Echo Park stations arrived on the scene, where fire crews cut a hole in the roof to let the smoke out of the structure.  There were no injuries and damage was apparently limited to water and smoke, Driscoll said.

Photo by Sandy Driscoll

Eastsider Advertising

One comment

  1. A wall heater? Interesting, since it was so HOT today. We actually just turned off our heater’s pilot light last night in fact. Good reminder to do those yearly house checks. Glad everyone’s ok.

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *