In This Month’s Active Eastsider:
Eastside Fitness & Wellness Notes • Man Up With Pilates • Nutritious Ways To Maintain Goal Weight • Everybody’s Talking About “The Core” • Upcoming Events
Eastside Fitness & Wellness Notes
- Ascot Hills Trails: Ascot Hills Park in El Sereno offers breathtaking views, rolling hills and relatively uncrowded trails. A 2.2 mile hike described on Every Trail takes visitors up into hills on the western side of the park to enjoy city, mountain and valley views. Says the Every Trail guide: “I have never seen the trails full of people. Most of the time, I can be on the trail for 15 minutes by myself before I see another person. There are dog walkers, trail runners and abuelos just getting exercise.”
- Freeway-Close Tennis Courts Get Favorable Reviews: The southbound 101 Freeway looms above the Echo Park Tennis Courts at Glendale Boulevard and Temple Street. While the location may not be ideal, it’s certainly convenient for Echo Park players and the busy courts have won favorable ratings on Yelp! Said one reviewer: “They’re great. Showed up around 430 p.m. on a Tuesday afternoon and courts were open. Nets in very good condition. Tandem courts are a bit tight. Surface is in great condition.”
- Take A Pre-Summer Swim: Most of the city’s public swimming pools open on June 14 for the summer. But a few of the pools will open on June 7 thanks to the Kaiser Permanent Pre-Summer Season Pools program. Those pools include the Griffith Park Swimming Pool in Los Feliz and the Yosemite Pool in Eagle Rock.
- North East Black Knights: The non-profit youth football and cheer leading program will be holding agility camps in June and July at Franklin High in Highland Park for kids ages 5 to 14. “Agility camps are put together so kids and parents can get a better idea of how practice is going to be,” said Omar Contreras with North East Black Nights. “It’s primary purpose is to instruct kids how to build team work.” Call (323) 225-5690 for prices and details.
Man Up With Pilates
Joseph Pilates, boxer, wrestler, and fitness innovator conceived The Pilates Method a century ago. He invented spring-loaded apparatus and hundreds of stretch and strengthen exercises that emphasize alignment and core strength. This workout program is great for guys: it increases flexibility, range of motion and helps alleviate neck, shoulder and back pain. At Pilates & Arts we’re calling Eastside guys to try our Cool-Daddy-O special: One free group reformer class OR 50% off a private. Promo: Cool-Daddy-O and code: Eastsideguy. To schedule, send mail to email@example.com with Cool Dad in subject line.
The Nutritious (and Delicious) Way To Maintain That Goal WeightSponsored by AAY Fitness & Nutrition
Nutritionist, Narina Minassian believes changing your lifestyle is all about making healthy choices one meal at a time. She leads the AAY! Nutrition Program that has helped hundreds of participants improve their eating habits, lose weight & live healthier lives. The next program will begin on July 12th. To find out why it works and what’s included, click here.
Everybody’s Talking About “The Core”Sponsored By Silver Lake Pilates Studio
The name “core” comes up often in casual conversation especially when referring to fitness. But what is this illusive muscle and more importantly, how can it be strengthened?
The core is made up of the Rectus Abdominis, also known as the six pack muscle, the Tranversus Abdominis, which runs sideways along your low belly, and the two Oblique muscles. And we often forget that the back Extensor muscles are also part of this group.
You don’t need to spend hours at the gym or, worse, hours on the floor doing boring situps to loud Aerosmith songs. You just need to engage these muscles effectively and spend time doing specific abdominal triggering exercises and breathing techniques. This is where Pilates comes in. Joseph Pilates was a genius and designed the Pilates Universal Reformer way back in the early 1920’s, so this machine has been around a very long time and has proven itself time and time again in aiding fitness professionals, dancers as well as the general public in developing a strong core.
If you would like to try the Pilates Reformer, Silver Lake Pilates offers a free class so you can spend an hour on this wonderful machine and see what everybody is talking about.
- June 11: Griffith Park Evening Hike
- June 14: Barbells For Boobs Cancer Detection Fundraiser
- June 22: Los Angeles River Ride
The Active Eastsider is a monthly Sponsored Post by the Eastsider’s fitness and wellness advertisers