News & Notes:
- A group of banks has come to the rescue of California’s oldest Latino bank, Pan American Bank of East Los Angeles, reports the L.A. Times. A group of community banks have agreed to invest more than $6 million to keep Pan American, which has not turned a profit since 2005, from being shut down by regulators.
- A man was fatally stabbed Wednesday in the 1300 block of Server Avenue in East Los Angeles, reports the L.A. Sheriff’s Department.
- The 22-year-old man who fatally shot his accomplice while they attempted to rob an El Sereno store last week has been charged with murder, reports L.A. Now. Jose Alfredo Favela could face life in prison over the shooting of Jose Espidon.
- A grand opening is scheduled to be held today for a $320,000 skate park at Hazard Park in Boyle Heights.
- A public memorial service for Dr. Paul Fleiss, father of Heidi Fleiss and a long-time Los Feliz pediatrician, will be held on Friday morning in Griffith Park.
Two things: One of the raccoons passing through the avenues tonight got sprayed by a skunk. May be first night in weeks without fireworks.
— Highland Park (@HLP90042) July 24, 2014