Silver Lake’s Pine & Crane owner Vivian Ku was recently featured in the L.A. Times as a mover and shaker in the Asian food scene. The article reported that the young chef is continuously experimenting with dishes at her Taiwanese restaurant. One example: “trotters” or pigs feet, a common Chinese dish that was too gelatinous for Pine & Crane’s diners. “Sometime we will introduce a new dish that is more traditional and less likely to be liked,” Ku said in the L.A. Times article. “We are constantly trying to push those limits.”
In other Shopper & Diner news:
- Echo Park resident and breakout purse designer Clare Vivier is hosting a sample sale at her Atwater Village design studio this Saturday, May 30, and Sunday, May 31, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m., LA Racked reports.
- Tacos carts are a dime dozen in Los Angeles. But one has captured the attention from Los Angeles Magazine: Boyle Heights’ Tacos El Morro and its tacos dorados de birria. Served up Guadalajara style, the corn tortillas are soaked in consommé, a spicy stock made up of chile ancho and chile guajillo. Then the tortilla is filled with goat birria and the mini-taco is fried until crispy. Tacos El Morro operates on Saturdays and Sundays on the corner of Whittier Boulevard and Albertine Street.
- Burgerlords head over to Eagle Rock’s the Oinkster for its fifth annual Burger Week, held from Monday, June 1 to Sunday, June 7. Each day, chef-owner Andre Guerrero features a new burger that is only available for that day. Standout ingredients include bourbon-bacon jam and pork rind dust (The Klogger), black garlic cream cheese (Bet it all on Black Garlic) and green curry mayo (The Big Kahuna). To top it off, the folks at the Oinkster and Highland Park Brewery teamed their talents to create a Burger Week beer they dubbed Red Tick ale.
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
The Reader Benefits Card is honored at:
- Beat Bop Boom 15% discount on anything in the store, including new and vintage music t-shirts, posters, kooky housewares, accessories, and memorabilia.
- El Tres Inn
10% off rack rates year round at any of our three luxury guest suites at El Tres Inn or newly opened “La Casa” vacation home rental. Please email directly to book and get 10% discount. [email protected] Located in the heart of Silver Lake, discreet luxury and an urban oasis.
- Frame Monster
$20 off complete custom picture frame order of $100 or more.
- Hecho Mercado
10% off any retail or food purchase with your benefits card. Hecho Mercado features organic coffee, snacks, unique gifts, papel picado, pinatas, day of the dead, books and gourmet foods all inspired by or from Mexico. Open Thurs- Sun 12p,-7pm. Free Gift Wrapping with all purchases!
- Karen Quick Pilates
1/2 off first private session.
- Luis Lopez Automotive
5% discount on all repairs and services above $100.
- Masa of Echo Park
15% off at Masa of Echo Park (excludes alcohol – good for up to 4 guests).
The retail garden store is offering 10% off any purchase by showing their card.
- Stories Books & Cafe
10% off all books and drinks.
* Fine Print:
- The Eastsider Reader Benefits Card is valid for one year after purchase
- The benefits offered by merchants are subject to change or cancellation at anytime. Those changes may not be reflected on the list above. Please verify the benefits by showing your card to participating merchants BEFORE ordering or making your purchase.
- Please present your card BEFORE placing your order or making your in-person purchase
- The Eastsider cannot be held responsible if merchants decline to offer stated benefits.
- The Eastsider does not endorse or guarantee the items or services provided by participating merchants.