SILVER LAKE — Construction to turn the former Ralphs market on Glendale Boulevard into a Whole Foods Market is expected to begin this summer. And when the store opens about a year later, customers will not only be able to shop for groceries but they will be able to dine in a restaurant and, if permits are granted, sip their favorite beers and wines as well.
The new store is expected to open in late summer 2016, a company official said during the Wednesday night meeting of the Silver Lake Neighborhood Council’s Urban Design & Preservation Committee. Company officials were seeking support for the necessary city and state permits to serve and sell beer and wine. In addition, Whole Foods wants an alcohol license that will allow the Silver Lake store to hold occasional wine tastings. The committee unanimously voted in favor of supporting the permits.
The store’s 51-seat dining area will include indoor and outdoor seating and a wine bar area, said a Whole Foods official. In addition to taking over the Ralphs space, Whole Foods will also occupy the storefronts between the market and the CVS drug store as the entire shopping center is renovated.
Ralphs closed its Silver Lake store in March after operating more than 30 years in the strip mall.
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
The Reader Benefits Card is honored at:
- Beat Bop Boom 15% discount on anything in the store, including new and vintage music t-shirts, posters, kooky housewares, accessories, and memorabilia.
- El Tres Inn
10% off rack rates year round at any of our three luxury guest suites at El Tres Inn or newly opened “La Casa” vacation home rental. Please email directly to book and get 10% discount. [email protected] Located in the heart of Silver Lake, discreet luxury and an urban oasis.
- Frame Monster
$20 off complete custom picture frame order of $100 or more.
- Hecho Mercado
10% off any retail or food purchase with your benefits card. Hecho Mercado features organic coffee, snacks, unique gifts, papel picado, pinatas, day of the dead, books and gourmet foods all inspired by or from Mexico. Open Thurs- Sun 12p,-7pm. Free Gift Wrapping with all purchases!
- Karen Quick Pilates
1/2 off first private session.
- Luis Lopez Automotive
5% discount on all repairs and services above $100.
- Masa of Echo Park
15% off at Masa of Echo Park (excludes alcohol – good for up to 4 guests).
The retail garden store is offering 10% off any purchase by showing their card.
- Stories Books & Cafe
10% off all books and drinks.
* Fine Print:
- The Eastsider Reader Benefits Card is valid for one year after purchase
- The benefits offered by merchants are subject to change or cancellation at anytime. Those changes may not be reflected on the list above. Please verify the benefits by showing your card to participating merchants BEFORE ordering or making your purchase.
- Please present your card BEFORE placing your order or making your in-person purchase
- The Eastsider cannot be held responsible if merchants decline to offer stated benefits.
- The Eastsider does not endorse or guarantee the items or services provided by participating merchants.