Firefighters put out Echo Park apartment blaze

Firefighter tosses debris outside fire damaged apartment

Firefighter tosses debris outside fire damaged apartment

ECHO PARK — At least one apartment was gutted tonight after a fire struck a large apartment complex at 1825 Morton Avenue. Firefighters at the scene said no injuries were reported based on preliminary information.

Residents of the Morton Gardens apartment gathered in a nearby parking lot as firefighters began cleaning out debris from the heavily damaged, first-floor apartment. Fans were being brought in clear out smoke from other units in the three-story building. The fire, which broke out shortly after 8 p.m., was put out in about half an hour, according to the L.A. Fire Department.

The fire began in the kitchen as the tenants were cooking and spread quickly to the rest of the unit as firefighters arrived, said Capt. Scott Anderson with LAFD Station 20 in Echo Park. The tenants were overcome from smoke and fled the apartment to safety.

At least two other units on upper floors sustained smoke damage, Anderson said.

The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!

Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.

One comment

  1. Thank you Firefighters! So glad no injuries.

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *