Friday, October 28, 2016

Police fatally shoot man in Boyle Heights [updated]

BOYLE HEIGHTS — Police shot and killed an armed man Saturday night in the 3300 block of Sixth Street, according to the LAPD.

Officers had been pursuing a stolen vehicle in the area at about 10:45 p.m. when the car stopped, and the suspect emerged with a firearm, said LAPD spokeswoman Rosario Herrera. Police then opened fire on the suspect, described as a male Latino in his 20s. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The coroner will release the identity of the suspect once family is notified, Herrera said.

Herrera said she did not know if the suspect pointed his weapon at officers when he was fired upon. No officers were injured.

Update: The suspect has been identified as 16-year-old Jose Mendez, reports NBC LA.

The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!

Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.

Eastsider Advertising


  1. Another dead idiot. Keep up the good work!

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *