Police today released a surveillance video of a man they said has stolen mail from several apartment buildings in Echo Park and Silver Lake by using a postal key to gain access to the buildings.
The suspect, 27-year-old Gregory Jimmy Karkour, has stolen mail at various locations since January, according to an LAPD press release. Most of the locations are in the southern section of Echo Park but one is in Silver Lake:
- January 11, 2016, at 10:30 p.m., in the 1300 block of Angelina Street
- January 15, 2016, at 10:30 p.m., in the 1300 block of Court Street
- January 18, 2016, at 9:40 a.m., in the 1300 block of Court Street
- January 24, 2016, at 2:25 a.m., in the 1800 block of W. Temple Street
- January 28, 2016, at 4:20 a.m., in the 300 block of Reno Street
- February 3, 2016, at 6:30 a.m., in the 100 block of Witmer Street
- February 11, 2016, at 5:51 a.m., in the 100 block of Witmer Street
- April 17, 2016, at 11:50 p.m., in the 700 block of Maltman Avenue
Police said Karkour was seen leaving several of the locations in a light blue, two-door 2006 Honda Accord. Karkour, described as Latino with brown hair and brown eyes, was last seen wearing a black “Under Armour” hooded shirt, black jeans and black tennis shoes. He has close cropped hair.
The thefts are the most recent in which suspects have used stolen or counterfeited keys used by mail carriers to gain access to centralized mail boxes and apartment buildings.
Anyone with information is urged to contact LAPD Rampart Burglary Detective Section at 213-484-3490. During non-business hours or on weekends, calls should be directed to 1-877-LAPD-24-7 (1-877-527-3247). Anyone wishing to remain anonymous should call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (800-222-8477).
The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!
Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.