ECHO PARK — Firefighters took about 25 minutes to knock down a blaze that broke out in a bungalow across from Echo Park Lake this afternoon. The fire at 640 Echo Park Avenue was started by an unattended cigarette, according to the L.A. Fire Department.
The tenants were away when the fire broke out at about 3:30 p.m. No persons were injured in the blaze but two pet cats died at the scene.
The home, which appears to have sustained heavy damaged, is wedged between two larger apartment complexes consisting of numerous hillside bungalows. Many of the residents in the neighboring buildings fled after seeing flames and smelling smoke.
“I looked out the window, and I saw that the porch [next door] was on fire,” said Thomas DeBoe. “I called 911 and got out of there as fast as I could.”
Update @ 5:30 p.m.: The fire has been extinguished but Echo Park Avenue remained closed in both directions between Bellevue Street and Laguna Avenue.
— Breaking LA News (@FollowLANews) May 2, 2016
Can’t get enough Echo Park news? Sign up for The Eastsider’s new Echo Park Weekly email newsletter. Echo Park Weekly will feature EP-centric stories, tidbits, advice, observations, information as well as the week’s top news. Arriving in your inbox beginning in January.
Cecilia Padilla-Brill, Editor
Echo Park Weekly
Jesús Sanchez, Publisher
Please fill out every field
Problem with the form? Let us know