Thursday, October 27, 2016

Police find Echo Park & East Hollywood assault suspect — in jail

Suspect Russell Harrison |LAPD

Suspect Russell Harrison |LAPD

After a $35,000 reward was issued to help find a suspected sexual prowler, police didn’t have to go very far to catch him. The suspect was already in jail.

34-year-old Russell Harrison, who police claim is responsible for a series of assaults and burglaries aimed at female apartment dwellers in East Hollywood, Echo Park and elsewhere, was being held at the Twin Towers jail Downtown as officers were looking for him. Harrison had been jailed for allegedly trying to enter homes in Pasadena after a string of crimes in L.A., police said.

A tipster from Antelope Valley who was familiar with the man saw Aug. 16 news reports  about the reward and called police to give them Harrison’s name. Police soon discovered that Harrison had been in jail since Aug. 9.  Police said Harrison’s criminal history included crimes in Georgia, New Jersey and New York.

Today, Harrison was being charged with one count of assault with the intent to commit rape during a burglary and several other counts of burglary for the incidents that took place between Aug. 1 and his arrest in Pasadena, said Lt. Joe Losorelli with the LAPD Rampart Division during a press conference this afternoon.

However, police have determined that Harrison was not a peeping tom who was reported on Aug. 13 since he was already in jail.

Harrison gained entry into apartments and homes through unlocked doors, Losorelli said.

County Supervisor Hilda Solis, who announced the $35,000 reward with City Council member  Mitch O’Farrell, said the tipster was still eligible to receive the cash even though Harrison was already in jail when the reward announced. She said the tip helped police find Harrison.

The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!

Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.

Eastsider Advertising


  1. Thanks for the story…glad to know the suspect is/has been in custody. When people have this kind of long past record, why are they still out in our communities committing additional crimes?

    • The story didn’t mention what type of crimes he committed in other states. If they were just burglaries and assaults, but not sexual assaults, they get a few years in jail and are then released.

    • How could he have been in jail and police didn’t know. Ridiculous.

      • It’s not ridiculous, they didn’t know his identity until someone called them with a tip just three days ago. It would be a bit hard to realize they already had him in custody without knowing his name.

  2. This guy was in Venice a few weeks ago. I’m a homeless person who sleeps off by himself every night. A few weeks ago I woke up to find this jerk sitting next to me on the sidewalk. It’s definitely him. I recognize him from that photo . He had a big stainless steel knife on him that he never used but he made sure I knew he had it. I think he was planning on robbing me but I managed to scare him off by yelling at him to move the f on.. Glad to see he’s off the streets.

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *