Thursday, October 27, 2016

Suspected sexual predator commits more crimes after East Hollywood & Echo Park assaults, police say

Wanted suspect| Courtesy LAPD

Surveillance photo of suspect | LAPD

A man suspected of assaulting women in their apartments in East Hollywood and Echo Park earlier this month has been involved in six additional crimes despite widely circulated surveillance videos and heightened efforts by police to catch him, investigators say.

Today, officials from the city and county of Los Angeles announced a $35,000 reward to help capture the man who police say has been responsible for attempted sexual assaults and burglaries from Downtown to Hollywood. The victims, in all but one of the cases, have been women in their apartments, said LAPD Detective Scarlett Martinez. In the most recent incident on Aug. 13, the suspect managed to climb to a second-floor window to peep into a woman’s bathroom. He left the scene after the woman began to scream, Martinez said.

While the LAPD is devoting additional resources, “we  need the public’s help, honestly,” Martinez said.

In most of the cases, the suspect has worn the same clothes: blue high top sneakers and a green t-shirt with an image of the Virgin Mary. Police say the suspect is a male, African American, 25-30 years old with black hair and brown eyes. He is approximately 6 feet tall, and weighs around 170-190 pounds, and has been seen carrying a knife.

Anyone with information about these incidents can call 800-222-TIPS or the LAPD at (213) 484-3486 or (213) 484-3469.

In a press conference this morning,  L.A. Councilman Mitch O’Farrell and L.A. County Supervisor Hilda Solis said they have introduced motions to jointly fund the reward.

The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!

Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.

Eastsider Advertising


  1. Thanks to the Eastsider for following up on this story and for publishing this new photo of the suspect. It is much more detailed and hopefully the man will be recognized and reported to the police. Remember, you can report anonymously by following information above.

  2. He’s been wearing the same shirt for 2 weeks? Check homeless communities.

  3. If they are looking for an African American, they should not distribute a photo of someone who is definitely not that. At best, that makes me think this is not one person, but multiple, unrelated incidents, nothing of a serial nature going on, a false scare for whatever reason. At worst, it makes me seriously question what is going on at LAPD and why they are doing this. And it does not help to have them assert “six additional crimes” without anything whatsoever about them, nothing to back up the assertion, not even a neighborhood or date — couldn’t they at least release another photo from those, maybe this one of an Asian they assert is an African American, and the same person as the previous African American who was not and also was not an Asian?

    I don’t know what to think of this info from the police. I certainly cannot accept it on face value with such poor and highly questionable information.

    This assertion of an African American man with a picture that shows it is not an African American man is going to drastically undermine any prosecution.

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments civil and on topic and refrain from personal attacks. The moderator reserves the right to edit or delete any comments. The Eastsider's Terms of Use and Privacy Policy apply to comments submitted by readers. Required fields are marked *