- BuzzFeed weighs in on a lawsuit filed last year over the city’s gang injunctions, including the ones that apply to Echo Park. The story focuses on 22-year-old Echo Park resident Peter Arellano, who describes the impact on his life after he was included in an injunction in connection with a vandalism case. Arellano, who was interviewed by KPCC last year, is one of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit brought by the ACLU. “It sucks, it feels like your life is limited,” said Arellano. “You can’t do what regular people do, you can’t drink with friends, go to the lake, be a part of the community.”
- The L.A. Times takes a look at the influence Vermont senator Bernie Sanders is having on the 34th District Congressional race. Three of the nearly two dozen candidates in the race said they were inspired to run by Sanders, was the top vote getter in the district (which includes Boyle Heights, El Sereno, Northeast L.A and other communities) in last year’s Democratic presidential primary. The seat became open after Xavier Becerra was appointed State Attorney General. The primary will be held April 4.
- More Election News: Incumbent Gilbert Cedillo’s share of the vote in the Council District 1 (here’s a map) race fell below 50% after the county clerk updated voting results on Tuesday as outstanding ballots are being counted. The councilman needs at least 50% of the vote to avoid a runoff with second-place challenger Joe Bray-Ali, who now claims 38.14% of the vote. The results could keep changing as the county clerk continues to tabulate the outstanding ballots and update the voting results.
- Two temporary construction trailers on Cesar Chavez Avenue in Boyle Heights sustained heavy damage during a Tuesday night fire, reports CBS 2. No injuries were reported.
- Workshops created by youths to deal with gang violence and police at the Ramona Gardens housing project in Boyle Heights might be expanded to other parts of the city. KPCC
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.