- Congratulations to Franklin High of Highland Park and John Marshall High of Los Feliz for placing in the top 5 during this weekend’s 2017 California Academic Decathlon. Franklin came in at third place while Marshall placed fourth. First place went to Granada Hills Charter High, which will represent California in next month’s United States Academic Decathlon.
- A rally and vigil was held Sunday in Boyle Heights for the man who was fatally shot by police at the Soto Street Gold Line station. Police are scheduled to provide more information about the shooting later today. Friends identified the man who was killed as 36-year-old Fred Barragan. KTLA
- Police say a man in Silver Lake had to be taken off a rooftop along Lucile Avenue by the fire department on Saturday night after he refused to come down. Residents reported that traffic was blocked in the area of Sunset Junction, and a video was posted on Twitter of a man on a roof waving his arms. An officer at the LAPD Rampart Division said the incident was described as a “5150,” referring to a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code covering people who may be a danger to themselves or others. (Thanks to an Eastsider reader for the tip)
- City offices, including libraries, will be closed today, Monday, March 27, in honor of the Cesar Chavez holiday. However, many state agencies, including the DMV, and courthouses will be closed on Friday, March 31 for the holiday.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.