- Valentin Herrera, the 76-year-old Lincoln Heights man who was mauled last month by two pit bull-type dogs, has died from his injuries. A public hearing is scheduled for today to determine the dogs’ fate. ABC7
- The county coroner determined that Elias Rodriguez, the 14-year-old whose body was found Saturday in the L.A. River near Los Feliz, died from an accidental drowning. Officials assume that Rodriguez, who had been missing for more than a week, was swept away by flood waters in the Pacoima Wash as he walked to his home in Sylmar. L.A. Times
- KPCC weighs in on the City Council District 1 race, saying that incumbent Gil Cedillo faces a “serious challenge” in the March 7 primary. Three candidates are running against Cedillo in the race to represent Council District 1, which includes all or portions of Angeleno Heights, Cypress Park, Echo Park, Glassell Park, Highland Park, Lincoln Heights, Mount Washington. Read more in The Eastsider’s 2017 Election Guide.
- Glassell Park residents are being asked to comment on a proposed 419-unit housing complex next to the L.A River. Information on the project will be presented tonight, March 1, as part of an environmental impact report on the development. GPNC
- The Eastsider is looking for community correspondents to cover and take notes at public meetings. Contact us for details.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.