- About a dozen supporters of Cal State L.A. student Claudia Rueda held a silent rally at the El Sereno campus on commencement day to protest her detention by the U.S. Border Patrol. A lawyer for Rueda, who is in the country illegally, claimed that the detention is in retaliation for his client’s public efforts to defend her mother, who was taken into custody by the Border Patrol during a raid in Boyle Heights. U.S. officials said it was connected to a drug bust in which her father was arrested last month. L.A. Times
- An early morning vehicle fire on Sunday spread to vegetation, burning nearly three-quarters of an acre of steep terrain in Debs Park before firefighters extinguished the blaze. No injuries were reported. LAFD
- It took firefighters about 20 minutes to put out a fire in a Silver Lake home in the 3700 block of Marcia Drive. No injuries were reported. LAFD
- The L.A. Department of Water and Power will present its plans to open a walking path on top of the south dam of the Silver Lake Reservoir during a town hall tonight, May 22, hosted by the Silver Lake Neighborhood Council.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.