- Voters head to the polls today to cast their ballots in the 34th Congressional District runoff election between Robert Lee Ahn and Jimmy Gomez . The winner will replace Xavier Becerra, who was appointed state Attorney General earlier this year. Polls close at 8 pm. Click here to find out if you live in the district and here to find your polling place and sample ballot. The 34th Congressional District includes Boyle Heights, City Terrace, El Sereno, Lincoln Heights, Montecito Heights, Northeast L.A., southern Echo Park and other communities.
- Cal State L.A. won’t be accepting community college transfer students for the spring semester after being swamped with applications this year. The El Sereno college is average 60,000 applications annually compared to the high 40,000 range a few years ago. KPCC
- A Union Bank branch located inside Lincoln High School in Lincoln Heights employs and trains students as tellers and provides information on financial literacy and skills. NBC4
- 14th District Councilman Jose Huizar has endorsed State Treasurer John Chiang in the 2018 governor’s race. Huizar opted not to endorse former L.A. mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who recruited Huizar to run for the council seat in 2005. L.A. Times
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.