- A Toonerville gang member from Atwater Village plead guilty to racketeering conspiracy, drug trafficking and other charges for his role in a Mexican Mafia-controlled network of gangs, reports MyNewsLA. Federal prosecutors said that Giovanni “Suspect” Olvera, who faces a 15-1/2 prison sentence, distributed drugs and collected “taxes” from gangs active in Atwater, Elysian Valley, Glendale and Northeast L.A. The 26-year-old Olvera was one of 15 defendants named in a 2015 federal racketeering indictment that describes how an imprisoned Mexican Mafia member forged a truce that unified three formerly rival gangs — Frogtown, Toonerville and Rascals — to control drug trafficking, extortion and violent crime in the gang territory.
- A pair of F-15 fighter jets roared across the skies over Echo Park and Northeast L.A. on Thursday afternoon, surprising many residents as well as local officials. Those planes will be back next week because they were training for a July 4th flyover at Dodger Stadium. L.A. Times
- A Cal State L.A. kinesiology student was awarded $210,000 after a federal decided in his favor in an excessive-use-of-force lawsuit against an off-duty LAPD officer. L.A. Times
- The LAPD is planning to set up a DUI checkpoint tonight, June 30, in Highland Park near Figueroa Street and York Boulevard. LAPD
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.