Judge orders Cal State L.A student released
- A federal judge released a Cal State L.A. student and immigration rights activist who was being held by the Border Patrol because she is in the country illegally. Supporters claim that Claudia Rueda of Boyle Heights had been detained by the Border Patrol in retaliation for protesting the arrest of her mother by federal agents. The cases of both women are now being reviewed by immigration courts. L.A. Times
El Sereno shooting
- The family and friends Pedro Echeverria voiced support for the 18-year-old who was shot by police in El Sereno one day after he graduated from high school. Echeverria was a reformed gang member planning to attend Pasadena City College, friends told NBC4. Echeverria was shot on Thursday when he was stopped by police. Echeverria remains under police custody as he recovers from his wounds in a hospital. The LAPD has so far not provided any new details about what prompted the shooting.
Jimmy Gomez still winning big
- There were no surprises after the results of the 34th Congressional District runoff election results were updated on Friday by the county clerk: Jimmy Gomez was still winning big, capturing 61% of the vote compared to 39%, for Robert Lee Ahn. Ahn’s campaign had suggested that the processing of uncounted ballots from Tuesday’s election could leave him the winner. Another update will be released next week when the final 1,700 ballots are counted. L.A. Times
- A Corner Penthouse in the DTLA Arts District(Sponsored)
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.