- Voters head to the polls tomorrow, June 6, to cast their ballots in the 34th Congressional District runoff election between Robert Lee Ahn and Jimmy Gomez . The L.A. Times provides a primer on the candidates. The 34th Congressional District includes Boyle Heights, City Terrace, El Sereno, Lincoln Heights, Montecito Heights, Northeast L.A., southern Echo Park and other communities.
- The City Council’s Planning and Land Use Committee voted to weaken restrictions on where billboard companies can put up new digital and traditional signs if they pay additional fees to the city under certain conditions. L.A. Times Opinion
- The attorneys for a Lincoln Heights man who was apprehended by ICE agents as he was driving his daughters to school in February are trying to void a nearly 20-year-old misdemeanor conviction to gain his freedom. But their effort to remove the conviction of Romulo Avelica-Gonzalez, who is in the country illegally, is being opposed by the City Attorney. Avelica-Gonzales plead guilty to displaying a stolen vehicle registration sticker. Daily News
- Artist and Annenberg heiress Lauren Bon is one permit away from being granted permission to build a water wheel on the L.A. River across from Lincoln Heights. KPCC
- The L.A. Weekly tries to figure out who was the man seen bench-pressing a goose for 10 minutes at Hollenbeck Park in Boyle Heights. After lifting the bird up and down numerous times, the man “cradled it, tickled its tummy and then it walked away.”
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.