- Last year Franky Carrillo received a $10 million settlement for serving 20 years in prison for a murder he did not commit. This week, Carrillo, who now lives in Echo Park with his wife and family, announced that he will be running to replace Jimmy Gomez, who was elected to Congress, as representative of the California 51st Assembly District. “I’m running because I believe that every family deserves an advocate who is dedicated to helping them triumph over the challenges and unfairness in their lives,” said Carrillo in a statement. Carrillo is one of several candidates who will be running for the assembly seat, reports KPCC. An election date has yet to be announced by the governor.
- Marijuana stores would be restricted to primarily commercial and industrial areas and would also be prevented from operating within 800 feet of schools, libraries, parks and other pot shops under proposed city regulations. L.A. Times
- Dodger Stadium will for the first time host the kickoff party for the LA Pride festival as part of LGBT Night at Dodger Stadium. Dodgers
- Stunning Eagle Rock Craftsman from ModOp Design (Sponsored)
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.