- The City Council approved six pay increases over five years to members of LADWP’s largest union. Three council members, including 4th District Councilman David Ryu and 13th District Councilman Mitch O’Farrell, voted against the increase amid concerns it had been rushed through without previous public hearings. “This process stunk,” said Councilman Joe Buscaino. MyNewsLA
- A measure that would make it harder for landlords to evict tenants from buildings not covered by rent control moved ahead in the City Council. The proposal, introduced by 1st District Councilman Gil Cedillo, would require landlords to justify the removal of tenants. L.A. Times
- A $1 million state grant will be used to fund the renovations of ball fields, installation of a synthetic soccer/baseball turf, field lighting and fencing at Belvedere Community Regional Park in East Los Angeles. The installation of synthetic turf is expected to save one million gallons of water, according to the office of Supervisor Hilda Solis. Work on the project is expected begin in 2018.
- Jimmy Gomez of Eagle Rock will be sworn in as Congressman on July 11. Gomez, a Democrat who is currently serving as a state assemblyman, had been criticized by Republicans for delaying his swearing in ceremony. Politico
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.