- The family of 14-year-old Jesse Romero have filed a federal lawsuit over the fatal shooting of the Boyle Heights teen last August by an LAPD officer. KPCC
- The owners of a Boyle Heights dump where a fire burned and smoldered for six weeks last year will not be able to accept any more debris under a court injunction. City officials claim that the 25-foot-high piles of construction debris weighing more than 22 million pounds were far larger than permits allowed. Daily News
- The hardy ficus trees that line many city streets are being killed off by a fungus that can lead to a tree’s death within three years. About 25% of the county’s ficus trees have been infected by the airborne botryosphaeria fungus. KPCC
- A fire burned about half an acre of vegetation in the 3200 block of Griffin Avenue in Lincoln Heights before firefighters extinguished the Friday night blaze in about 30 minutes. There were no reports of injuries or structure damage. LAFD
- For Sale: Cozy Cottage in Echo Park (Sponsored)
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers
Get your Eastsider Reader Benefits Card today with the purchase of a Reader Sponsorship and start enjoying the discounts and deals offered by the participating merchants.