News & Notes From Across The Eastside
- Cal State L.A. in El Sereno received a $16.6 million grant — the largest ever awarded to the school — to help improve dental care for children in underserved communities near Cal State LA, USC and the San Gabriel Valley. L.A. Times
- A proposal to raise about $114 million a year for affordable housing by imposing a “linkage fee” on new residential and commercial construction took a big step forward at City Hall. KPCC
- Time to Move On: Food trucks that park for more than 30 minutes on residential streets in violation of city law face much high penalties under a motion adopted by the City Council. My News LA
- The Eagle Rock Neighborhood Council will host a forum on Thursday, Aug. 24 for the candidates running in the California State Assembly District 51 election. The primary will be held Oct. 3 followed by the runoff on Dec. 5.
- Congrats: The East Los Angeles Lions Club celebrated its 90th anniversary earlier this month with an awards ceremony and the installation of new chapter president Guadalupe Arce.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
A message from Eastside Events sponsor Metro
Go Metro to Nisei Week 2017 in Little Tokyo
Enjoyed by thousands every summer, Nisei Week in Little Tokyo is one the nation’s longest running cultural festivals of its kind. From August 19 to 27, participate in free Japanese cultural events, activities for all ages, and live music and dancing.
The most convenient way to get to the 77th Annual Nisei Week festivities is to take the Metro Gold Line and get off at the Little Tokyo/Arts District Station. Learn more at golittletokyo.com.