News & Notes From Across The Eastside
- Occidental College faces “substantial” fines for “numerous, serious, persistent, and systemic” failures in the way it reported and issued warnings about crime on or near the Eagle Rock campus between 2009 and 2013, according to a federal review. The same report determined that Occidental is now in compliance with laws governing the reporting of crime on college campuses. Occidental College & L.A. Times
- A plan by the LAPD to deploy drones in a pilot program raised privacy concerns during a public hearing in Los Feliz. KPCC
- The Eagle Rock High football team will compete against three other schools in an academic contest. The team with the highest cumulative grade point average will receive a $2,500 equipment grant and an invite to a Rams game. L.A. Times
- Congrats: Jeff’s Place, a comedy written and co-created by Jeff Galfer of Atwater Village, is one of the programs that will participate in the Independent Pilot Competition at 13th Annual New York Television Festival. Deadline Hollywood
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
A message from Eastside Events sponsor Metro
Go Metro to Nisei Week 2017 in Little Tokyo
Enjoyed by thousands every summer, Nisei Week in Little Tokyo is one the nation’s longest running cultural festivals of its kind. From August 19 to 27, participate in free Japanese cultural events, activities for all ages, and live music and dancing.
The most convenient way to get to the 77th Annual Nisei Week festivities is to take the Metro Gold Line and get off at the Little Tokyo/Arts District Station. Learn more at golittletokyo.com.