BY CECILIA PADILLA-BRILL
Mexico City chef Maycoll Calderón is making his Los Angeles debut with the opening of Tintorera in Silver Lake, Eater LA reports. Chef Calderón brings his cocina de campo (country kitchen) style of cooking, with a menu that features raw dishes such as ceviche, and wood-fired fish and meats, a specialty he is known for back home.
The former Cowboys & Turbans space has been revamped to reflect the outdoor, tropical atmosphere found in Mexico City. There’s also an indoor speakeasy featuring a craft cocktail menu from Mexico City bartender David Mora. The restaurant is open on a limited basis, accepting reservations by email. Tintorera is located in the 2800 block of Sunset Boulevard in Silver Lake.
In other Shopper & Diner News:
- The Park in Echo Park is home base to the Top of the Line Cooking Competition, LA Weekly reports. Once a month, the Sunset Boulevard restaurant closes its doors to host the competition that focuses on the daily grind performed by three Los Angeles-based line cooks. The cooks have four hours to prepare a six-course meal for three judges and about 50 diners, who pay $62 to attend. The Park is located at 1400 Sunset Blvd.
- Frog legs provençale is back on the menu at Taix French Restaurant, a company press release reports. It’s been four months since the famed dish from southeastern France went on a menu hiatus due to the unavailability of “just the right size frog legs,’ Taix owner Michael Taix said. Apparently, size matters in making cuisses de grenouille. “We prefer the smaller legs because they are more delicate and tender,” Taix said.
- Good Measure premiered this week in Atwater Village, Eater LA reports. It’s been about four months since Matthew Kaner took over the Ozu East Kitchen space, and with the speedy transformation comes a toned-down color scheme compared to its predecessor, a plethora of wine and global country eats. Dinner only, for now. Good Measure is located in the 3200 block of Glendale Boulevard in Atwater Village.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
- Sign up for The Eastsider’s Good Taste email newsletter with food related items from The Shopper & Diner Report and other sources (expect special offers from our business partners, too).
- If you want to share Eastside restaurant reviews, recipes and cooking & shopping tips, sign up for The Good Taste Facebook Group
Cecilia Padilla-Brill is a communications writer and journalist. She writes news, health, education and feature stories. Cecilia is currently working on her first novel. She has lived in Echo Park since 1999.
A message from Eastside Events sponsor Metro
Go Metro to Nisei Week 2017 in Little Tokyo
Enjoyed by thousands every summer, Nisei Week in Little Tokyo is one the nation’s longest running cultural festivals of its kind. From August 19 to 27, participate in free Japanese cultural events, activities for all ages, and live music and dancing.
The most convenient way to get to the 77th Annual Nisei Week festivities is to take the Metro Gold Line and get off at the Little Tokyo/Arts District Station. Learn more at golittletokyo.com.