- Occidental College is seeking to raise $40 million to endow and expand a scholars program in honor of its most famous student: former President Barack Obama. The Barack Obama Scholars Program would pay tuition, room and board and study-abroad internships for two students at the Eagle Rock college. L.A. Times
- Students at Hollenbeck Middle School in Boyle Heights have dramatically raised their math test scores after they began working in small groups to understand concepts and solve problems. However, the school still has a long way to go: Only 30% of Hollenbeck students met or exceeded state math standards. KPCC
- An album you can only play about 20 times – and it may be printed on someone’s old X-ray: That’s the deal at Echo Park-based Blank City Records. The album is called a flexi disc, which consists of a thin, flexible sheet. L.A. Weekly
- A report by City Controller Ron Galperin recommends increasing the supply of available storage bins and stepping up enforcement of laws that prohibit the blocking of public sidewalks to deal with the spread of homeless encampments. Fox11
- Alex Alpharaoh, a performer and DACA enrollee who grew up in Echo Park, talks about his one-man show that recently played in Atwater Village. L.A. Times
- Elysian Valley residents and Councilman Mitch O”Farrell will gather this morning to spread some mulch and dedicate a newly landscaped median strip on Riverside Drive and Gail Street. A neighborhood “welcome” marker is scheduled to be installed in the next phase of improvements.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
Shopping Cart Puppy, Eagle Rock | konathefoxredlab