The property management pros at Figure 8 PM explain why a good gardener will help beautify your landscape and protect your investmentWhether it’s hiking in Griffith Park, paddle boating on Echo Park Lake, or hanging out at the beach, we all love taking advantage of the great outdoors. It’s why we live in LA!
But for homeowners and owners of rental properties, we often underestimate the importance of the outdoor space we actually own – literally our own backyard!
Sure, Los Angeles city parks great, but if you’ve ever dined al-fresco on a patio overlooking the Downtown skyline, you can appreciate how having a well-conceived outdoor space is its own special kind of heaven. That’s why this article is dedicated to the unsung hero of the quintessentially California indoor/outdoor lifestyle – the all-important Gardener!
Here are the Top 8 Reasons You Need to a Great Gardener for Your Home or Rental Property:
1. CURB APPEAL. In the housing and rental market, like in many aspects of modern life, perception is reality. The way your home appears from the outside has a huge effect on the quality of renters your property attracts. A well-manicured exterior goes a long way to appeal to quality tenants and is a cost-effective way to keep your rents competitive. Overall, you can achieve higher income and return on investment for your rental – in the long run, it really adds up!
2. IMPROVED PRIVACY. Your home is your sanctuary. The same is true for your tenants. Strategic landscaping techniques like climbing vines or privacy hedges are a great way to cut down on outside street noise, remove distractions, and make your outdoor areas feel more tranquil, private, and serene. Good placement also adds shade for reduced temps in hot climates – win-win!
3. EYES ON THE PROPERTY. Perhaps the most underestimated advantage of having a great gardener is the consistency with which they view your property. For most properties, gardeners will be the most frequent hired contractors to set foot on the premises. This uniquely positions them to notice if something isn’t quite right. Our management division, Figure 8 PM, employs reliable gardeners who report back with every visit, enabling more eyes on the lookout for potential maintenance concerns.
4. PROFESSIONAL GUIDANCE. Do you have a mid-century ranch home or a more contemporary vibe? Does your rental property have Spanish design details or American Craftsman? A great gardener can give you guidance on landscaping choices that complement your home’s intrinsic style and design. This will show your home to its best advantage and make your property thrive.
5. REDUCED MAINTENANCE. An unkempt yard isn’t just unsightly, if left unchecked it can turn into a costly headache. Overgrown trees and bushes can damage rain gutters, siding, and flashing for your house or rental apartment; regular trimming can not only help prevent these potentially costly fixes, but also keeps your tenants happy and your investment looking its best.
6. IMPROVED HOME SAFETY. It’s not sexy, but it’s important! The removal of excess dried brush reduces the risk of fire hazards, deters pests, and improves sight lines on your property. Besides increasing your property value, it’ll reduce upkeep costs over time and make your tenants happier and healthier!
7. REDUCED WATER USAGE. Three Words: Drought. Tolerant. Landscaping. It’s more than just cacti and pebbles (although those can be great, too!). When designing your garden, there are a plethora of cost-effective and beautiful options to green your lawn while being kinder to the environment. From slow-growing Zoysia Grass to Granite Sand, taking advantage of recent innovations in the drought-tolerant sector of the gardening industry will reduce your water costs while still providing kids, pets, and fun-loving adults the space to roam free. Not a prickly pear in sight!
8. INCREASED PROPERTY VALUES FOR THE NEIGHBORHOOD. Your home or rental property is a personal investment that’s part of a neighborhood community too. When you improve the curb appeal of your home’s exterior, it improves the look of your street – which, in-turn, increases your neighbors’ property values. Higher property values for your neighbors ensures the longevity of your community, and (because it’s all connected) a greater profit potential for your home or multi-unit investment property whenever it’s time for you to sell. Sure, you could wait ‘til the last minute to improve your home’s exterior – but if you start planting the seeds now, you’ll get the increased benefits of quality of life, and provide a gift to your community and yourself that grows over time.
To connect with a great gardener or learn about other professional home-improvement / management services, contact Figure 8 PM:
- (213) 947-3667
- [email protected]
For a list our active rentals, visit Figure8pm.com/vacancies.