BY CECILIA PADILLA-BRILL
The folks from Vaka Burgers are apparently drawn to bright florescent lights, aisles racked with booze and their original home of Boyle Heights. According to Eater LA, the eatery is returning to its founding neighborhood and is reemerging its burger-joint-in-a-liquor-store concept, which will soon be inside of Ray & Roy’s Market. No date has been set for the grand opening. Vaka Burgers Boyle Heights will be located in the 2800 block of 4th Street inside of Ray & Roy’s Market.
In other Shopper & Diner News:
- With bar/arcades being all the rage these days (think Button Mash in Echo Park), it was only a matter of time until one popped up in Highland Park. Barcade – New York City’s self-proclaimed “original arcade bar” – is heading for HLP, and with it come vintage arcade games and select beers, according to LAist and Eater LA. Expect a summer 2018 opening. Barcade is slated to open in the 5600 block of York Boulevard in Highland Park.
- Need some nachos? Eater LA’s list of “19 Places to Chase Nacho Perfection in Los Angeles” includes three Eastside options that are edible for most palates. Echo Park’s Mohawk Bend received a mention for its vegan nachos topped with salsa verde, salsa roja, guacamole and vegan queso for a modest $8. On the more traditional side, El Tepeyac Café in Boyle Heights was noted for its meat-filled nachos topped with an “unreal amount of cheese” while Carnitas Michoacan – The Original scored points for its nachos smothered in an “unhealthy, over-abundant, and absolutely critical” glop of cheese and meat. Mohawk Bend is located in the 2100 block of Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park. El Tepayec Café is located in the 800 block of Evergreen Avenue in Boyle Heights. Carnitas Michoacan – The Original is at 1901 N. Broadway.
- Got a news tip or photo to share? Submit it here
- Sign up for The Eastsider’s Good Taste email newsletter with food related items from The Shopper & Diner Report and other sources (expect special offers from our business partners, too).
- If you want to share Eastside restaurant reviews, recipes and cooking & shopping tips, sign up for The Good Taste Facebook Group
Cecilia Padilla-Brill is a communications writer and journalist. She writes news, health, education and feature stories. Cecilia is currently working on her first novel. She has lived in Echo Park since 1999.
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers