Echo Park — Better pay close attention to which way you are driving on Baxter Street. Starting tomorrow, Tuesday, May 22, the first new one-way signs are scheduled to be installed on a two-block stretch to deter drivers using Waze and other navigation apps from using the steep and narrow street.
Just to complicate things for commuters and locals, a one block of stretch of Baxter will be converted to a one-way direction westbound between Allesandro Street and Alvarado Street at the top of the hill. But, on the other side of that hill between Alvarado and Lake Shore, Baxter will be one-way in an eastbound direction.
A section of Fargo Street will be converted to a one-way street and there will be other signs posted.
Officers will be on hand tomorrow as the direction of the street changes, said Oliver Hou with the Department of Transportation. But the officers will be there primarily to make sure conditions remain safe and not necessarily issue tickets, he said.
If you live or drive on this stretch of Baxter, let us know how the change in direction goes.
Here’s a rundown of the upcoming changes:
- Baxter Street between Allesandro Street and North Alvarado Street will be converted to a one-way street in the westbound direction.
- Baxter Street between North Alvarado Street and Lake Shore Avenue will be converted to a one-way street in the eastbound direction.
- Fargo Street between Allesandro Street and North Alvarado Street will also be converted to a one-way street going westbound.
- Cove Avenue between Cerro Gordo Street and Lake Shore Avenue will also be converted to a one-way street going eastbound.
- Two stop signs will be added to Lake Shore Avenue at Baxter Street, making the intersection a four-way stop.
- More Echo Park stories
- Got a story, tip, question or photo to share? Submit it here
The Eastsider’s Daily email digest includes all new content published on The Eastsider during the last 24 hours. Expect the digest to land in your in email in box around 7 p.m. It’s free to sign up!
Once you submit your information, please check your email box to confirm your subscription.