BY CECILIA PADILLA-BRILL
Folks don’t need to head to Ensenada anymore for the authentic taste of fish and shrimp tacos served at the famed El Fenix Puesto. Juan Roberto Sanchez, owner of L Fish Tacos, has bought the recipe and he’s bringing it to Boyle Heights, Eater LA reports. The fish and shrimp taco stand is currently set up in front of Sanchez’s future brick and mortar location, which is in the 3200 block of 4th Street in Boyle Heights.
In other Shopper & Diner news:
- Have you been to Mel-Hel? That’s what L.A. Magazine has dubbed the emerging cluster of shops near the corner of Melrose Avenue and Heliotrope Drive in East Hollywood. The attractions include Hutch Vintage, Clad Home, Gracie’s Pizza, Amastoria boutique and The Faculty pub. It’s the most recent generation of hipness to establish near this crossroads. Who remembers Cafe Mambo?
- Taix French Restaurant is celebrating its 90th birthday with its 90-cent Taix roast chicken dinner special on Sunday, Oct. 8 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., the restaurant announced in an email. Get there early, the line is expected to go around the block. Taix French Restaurant is located in the 1900 block of Sunset Boulevard in Echo Park.
- Vinovore, a new female-centric wine shop that solely focuses on wines crafted by women, opens this Friday, Los Angeles Magazine reports. The shop, owned by Coly Den Haan, is apparently the first of its kind. Vinovore is located in the 600 block of N. Hoover Street in Silver Lake.
- Filipino food lovers can rejoice with the coming of EatPlayMove, a new Filipino food festival happening at Eagle Rock Plaza on Saturday, Oct. 7 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eater LA reports. Expect the White Rabbit Truck and Ensaymada Project among other Filipino food specialists. Eagle Rock Plaza is located in the 2700 block of Colorado Boulevard in Eagle Rock.
- Cookbook, Echo Park’s boutique grocery store, is getting closer to opening its Highland Park outlet this fall. The shop is hiring staff for both locations, with pay starting at $14/hour and rising to $15/hour after a three-month training period. Cookbook Highland Park will open in the 5600 block of Figueroa St.
- Got a story, tip, question or photo to share? Submit it here
- Sign up for The Eastsider’s Good Taste email newsletter with food related items from The Shopper & Diner Report and other sources (expect special offers from our business partners, too).
- If you want to share Eastside restaurant reviews, recipes and cooking & shopping tips, sign up for The Good Taste Facebook Group
Cecilia Padilla-Brill is a communications writer and journalist. She writes news, health, education and feature stories. Cecilia is currently working on her first novel. She has lived in Echo Park since 1999.
Deals & Discounts for Eastsider Readers