Tis the season for holiday lights, hot chocolate, gingerbread houses, and ... social distancing. Yes, the pandemic and has put a damper on the season, forcing the cancellation of many traditional events. But the holiday spirit lives on! Below are a few holiday-inspired celebrations in and near the Eastside to kick-off the 2020 holiday season. Bonus: You can enjoy many of them from the comfort of your home.
Don't see your event? Add it here
Looking for another plant to add to your new quarantine addiction? The Plant Provocateur is holding a pop-up in Gilly Flowers LA in Silver Lake. They will be offering custom made holiday wreaths, wood crafted EO burners, plant care kits, and Marimo wonderlands.
- Location: 3936 Sunset Blvd at Gilly Flowers LA in Silver Lake
- When: Saturday, Nov. 28 9:30 AM - 2 PM
The oldest puppet theater in the country recently announced they were in immediate danger of closing permanently due to the coronavirus pandemic. But Bob Baker Marionettes has decked their halls to welcome guests during the merriest of seasons. Book at 20-minute slot and stroll the winter wonderland and watch the different puppet shows taking all necessary safety precautions.
- Location: Bob Baker Marionettes theater in Highland Park
- When: Nov. 21 - Jan. 3
- Price: $60 per party for up to 6 people (including babies and kids)
Celebrate the Dodger's World Championship at the stadium's Holiday Festival complete with a light show, LED video displays, fake snow, and an interactive display honoring the ultimate winning team.
- Location: Dodger Stadium
- When: Open nightly from Nov. 27 - Dec. 24 | 5 PM - 11 PM
- Price: $55 per vehicle
The Lincoln Heights cultural center celebrates the end of the 50th Anniversary year with a series of virtual events featuring local dancers, mariachi, and folklórico. Through out the month, learn to me piñatas, alebrijes, and other art forms. Find your mariachi vocal chords or train your fingers to strum to el guitarrón and ukulele in their free online workshops.
- Location: Plaza de la Raza in Lincoln Heights (Virtually on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube)
- When: From Dec. 1 to 20
- Price: FREE
If you didn't get a chance to enjoy BiteLA's Halloween drive-thru, you can still get the crawl experience for their Holiday-themed event. Get into a snowball fight with snowmen, drive around Gnome Village to hunt for "Wrinkles," listen to stories with Santa, and don't forget to include your vehicle in the holiday mood for the ugly car sweater contest.
- Location: Legg Lake
- When: Now until Dec. 27 for 1-2 hours scheduled between 5 PM - 11 PM
- Price: $38 per person
December 4, 5 & 6
Friends of Los Feliz Library presents their Annual Holiday Tree Lighting. The Library tree will be decorated with over 7500 energy-efficient, warm-white LED lights.
- Location: Los Feliz Branch Library on their Facebook page
- When: Saturday, Dec. 5 at 5 PM
- Price: Free
In pre-covid times, Catholics from across Mexico and other countries would make a pilgrimage to the image of the Virgin Mary. This year, Forest Lawn celebrates one of the most significant Mexican Catholic holidays with a bilingual religious service, Mariachi music, and Ballet Folkloric.
- Location: Forest Lawn in Glendale on their Facebook page
- When: Sunday, Dec. 6 from 2 PM - 4 PM
- Price: Free
For the first time, Angelinos can have their photos taken at the Rose Bowl and take a VIP tour of the stadium with stops on the field, locker room, Court of Champions and more. The experience is limited to 6 people from the same household.
- Location: Rose Bowl Stadium
- When: Dec. 4, 5, & 6 starting at 9 AM for 30-minute slots
- Price: Starting at $300
Saturday, December 12
Even though many holiday parades were cancelled, Echo Park Community isn't giving up on their tradition. This year they're going back in time to live stream the most memorable moments from past parades with photo and video of shows dating back 50 years ago, including a special guest: Santa Clause!
Drive or walk through Upper Hastings Ranch to the lit up streets. It started back in 1951 when the families in the neighborhood decorated their driveways with luminaria (paper bags with candles) and when first neighbor created a wooden parkway display.
- Where: Upper Hastings Ranch Neighborhood
- When: Sundown
- Price: FREE
Sunday, December 13
Facebook group Hiking-with-Friends is organizing a holiday trail at Ascot Hills Park. It's open to anyone and free for kids, but if you decide to participate you're expected to stick with the group for the entire hike.
- Location:Ascot Hills Park
- When: Sunday, Dec. 13 at 1 PM
- Duration: 2.5 mile hike
- Price: FREE
Get your holiday shopping out of the way at The Handmade Market Collective's pop-up in Atwater Village. Meet your local artisans like Finding Form Design handmade leather chairs, macrame plant hangers from Sticks & Stones Macrame, or EarthDNA's custom floral arrangements.
- Location: 3300 Glendale Blvd, Atwater Village in Hugo's Tacos parking lot
- When: Sunday, Dec. 13 from 10 AM - 2 PM
Danza Floricanto/USA is taking you to Mexico from the comfort of your home. Watch traditional dance styles from Sinaloa, Chiapas, Tamaulipas and Jalisco including a special performances of Azteca dances. Listen to Mariachi Mexicapan and hymns to La Virgencita de Guadalupe, ending the evening with a piñata.
- Location: Performed in East Los Angeles,
- When: Saturday, Dec. 19 at 7 PM
- Price: $15 for the video link
- Contact: Gema Sandoval | email@example.com | 213-466-2611
Christmas Eve, December 24
L.A. County Holiday Celebration | Tuesday, December 24
The winter lockdown isn't stopping L.A. County from getting in the Christmas spirit. Their 61st annual holiday celebration is pre-recorded and shot in several parts of Los Angeles to meet with county guidelines. This year's show features a wide range of cultural performances from Mexico to India, including Pacifico Dance Company, Kayamanan Ng Lahi Philippine Folk Arts, Ragoli Dance Company, Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles and 18 other performers!
- Where: PBS SoCal 1 or stream online on their website
- When: December 24, 2020, 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. PST (But it will be rebroadcasted on
- December 24, 2020, 7:00 p.m - 10:00 p.m. PST on PBS SoCal 1
- December 25, 2020, noon - 3:00 p.m. PST on KCET
- December 25, 2020, 8:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m. PST on PBS SoCal 2
- Price: FREE